13 April 2010

More Frequent Posts??

This might come as a shock to the few of you who actually read my blog, because I know I have said it before...BUUUUUUUT I am seriously 100% totally going to try to update more often. Since I now have my own class (more on that later), I feel like there will be more things for me to update about since I will actually have a "schedule"...well, as much as a schedule as you can have working at MeySen. So, HOPEFULLY you can look forward to reading more about the 16 cutest little Japanese Bunnies MeySen has ever seen. And yes, that is a biased opinion :)

SOOOOO to start things off, today was Opening Ceremony. Basically all that means is that it was the first day of Kindergarten for these kids and there was an assembly where a lot of Japanese was spoken, songs were sung, and skits were performed. None of which I actually understood. Anyway, the kids and their parents (and some grandparents and siblings, too) got to school this morning around 9:30, changed from their outside shoes to their inside shoes, came inside the classroom, put their bags and school hats (which are adorable, by the way) away on their hooks and got to playing. Some of the kids are REALLLLLLY shy and tried to hide behind their parents, while some of the other kids were running around and playing with any and everything they could get their hands on. Then we lined everyone up with either their mother or father and marched into the auditorium (hall) for Opening Ceremony. (Insert 30mins of Japanese here.) Then we left the hall, went back to the classroom, and I taught the very first of their many English times. I read some books, sang some songs, and talked to the kids in English...I had a lot of blank faces looking back at me. OH! While I was singing the Red Song, the videographer for MeySen was in my classroom. Videoing. Me. Singing. BY MYSELF. It was terrifying...and will probably end up on the MeySen website. Yikes. Anyway, then the Japanese teacher talked to the parents...not really sure what all she said. Finally we went back to the hall to take a class picture (which will DEFINITELY be on the website in case you're interested) and then the parents of my kids took about 2384092384902 pictures of me with their kids. My face is still sore from smiling so much today. But, I will say that I'd rather have a sore face from smiling than have had my kids cry and/or puke...only one girl shed tears and she was fine after just a little bit. It was the most fantastic of days, and this is only the beginning. Tomorrow the kids come without their parents, but thankfully I'll have a translator in my room for most of the day AND it's only a half day. It will be good :)
Thanks to everyone who even thought of me today...all your prayers were answered and the Lord gave me so much peace! It couldn't have been better!

Also, on Thursday I am going to WineStudios (the company that makes all the MeySen curriculum among other things) to record the narration for a promotional video for the international university in Sendai. So not only will I become famous, I'll be getting paid a LARGE sum of cold, hard Yen for this gig. 15 minutes (probably more, but who's counting?) of fame: check!

No comments:

Post a Comment